Those staying in corporate housing in South Bend, IN for business reasons might appreciate some information about the city’s business environment. South Bend, IN derives most of its economic activity from the University of Notre Dame which is located a few miles north. Not only is the University the city’s largest employer of residents, the demand driven by students, faculty and staff provide a market for businesses and services located in South Bend.The secondary economy is driven by consumer services, composed of residential customers. These include healthcare and education related businesses as well as small retail business that caters to households and small businesses.On the larger corporate side of the economic engine, there are companies, like Honeywell, that undertake heavy manufacturing and sophisticated engineering. There is abandoned infrastructure in South Bend that could be easily converted into functioning manufacturing plants. This concept is the impetus for the current city council as far as rejuvenating the city.
Knowing what clothing to bring with you to your South Bend, IN furnished apartment is somewhat dependent on the local climate. South Bend experiences a humid continental climate, influenced heavily by Lake Michigan. Spring is mild and short with temperatures ranging from lows of 48°F in May to highs of 80° in June. Summers are warm and humid, reaching a high of 83° in July, while fall experiences high of 74° in September and lows of 42° in October. Winter stretches from November to April, with January being the coldest month. So, be sure to dress right and then venture out of your South Bend, IN corporate apartment to enjoy the wide variety of outdoor activities that this area offers.
Being a temporary resident in South Bend, IN corporate housing need not relegate you to feeling like a complete outsider. Acquaint yourself with South Bend’s history by reading our brief historical summary provided below.South Bend was the result of a number of expeditions along the St Joseph River. Prior to European settlement, the place was inhabited by the Miami tribe and the Potawatomi tribe. The area became predominantly inhabited by the Potawatomi tribe, but they were eventually forcibly removed in the mid 1800s. South Bend’s location proved expeditious in its location due to the area’s proximity to the Kankakee River.The original settlers in the area were the French fur traders. They arrived with the intention of setting up trading posts and in 1820, Pierre Freischutz Navarre, of John Jacob Astor’s American Fur Company, arrived and settled at the area. He eventually married a Potawatomi tribe woman and when the Indians were removed from the area, he moved with them.In modern times, the city benefited from the founding of Fr Edward Sorin’s Notre Dame University in 1842, not far from South Bend. The expansion of the city was due in part to the University and to the fact that the main thoroughfare running north-south in Indiana ran through South Bend. Another major development that further sparked the growth of South Bend was the construction of the canals running alongside the river, called Races. These Races powered the factories and industrial complexes resulting in the boom-time economy that South Bend experienced in the 19th century.
Places to Eat Near South Bend Corporate Housing
All of Almost Home’s South Bend, IN furnished apartments have fully equipped kitchens, making cooking both easy and enjoyable. However, many of our residents still enjoy dining out from time to time. You might want to give the following restaurants a try:
- Girasol Restaurant on N Eddy St: The food here is simple and appetizing. The restaurant is clean and welcoming with the staff being friendly and accommodating. Portions are fair and most items are fairly cheap. Typically, locals here like the Horchata and the Bean and Pork.
- Breadsmith on S Bend Ave: The regular bakery items are presented here in a clean and spacious environment. French Baguette, Honey Wheat and Rustic Italian are the popular bakery items. Customers are always happy with the service that is friendly and cheerful. The breads are priced fairly and baked fresh every day.
- Chicory Cafe on E Jefferson Blvd: Chicory is a coffee house with a comfortable environment. There is free WiFi for patrons and the staff is well trained. The coffee selection is limited, but what they lack in variety, they make up in taste. It does have food to go with it like sandwiches and light meals. The coffee is good here, but the chocolate drinks are even better.
- Matuba Japanese Restaurant on McKinley Ave: A favorite Sushi restaurant in South Bend. The sushi, sashimi and other Japanese delicacies are fresh and the service is uncompromising. The California Roll is the favorite here. The staff is accommodating and if you’re not sure what to order, they are very helpful. The managers and owners take the effort to know everyone by name and make sure that the customers are always happy.
- Polito’s Pizzeria on N Hickory Drive: Polito’s serves traditional pizzas and other Italian specialties including pastas and creamy desserts. The Rigatoni with Vodka sauce is one of the local favorites. Pizzas are made with fresh ingredients and the favorites among locals here is the deep dish chicken pizza. Another favorite here is the Meat Lover’s Stromboli.
Things to do in South Bend
Stepping out of your South Bend, IN temporary housing is bound to present you with numerous interesting activities. We have listed a few possible entertainment options that may appeal to you.
- Museum: The South Bend Museum of Art on St Joseph’s St has more than 50 years worth of artistic acquisition. Most of the pieces are from traditional Indiana artists and those from the immediate local area. You will find an eclectic collection of print art and sculptures from the likes of Yolanda Lopez, Carrie Mae Weems and Faith Ringold, in addition to the pieces that are displayed on loan.
- Theater: The Morris Performing Arts Center features numerous classical and contemporary performances during the course of the year. From symphonies to ballet, and even pop and rock performances, each is performed to a packed theater. The auditorium is an award winning, acoustically superior theater with hi-fidelity sound and unobstructed views from every seat.
- Golf: The South Bend Country Club has been around for almost a century. The course is designed amidst a pristine forest, natural lakes and willow trees that have been incorporated with the landscape. One of the U.S. open qualifying events is played here annually
- Parks: The East Race Waterway on Niles Ave is a white water course that is built within the East Race, along the river. The waterway is 1900 feet and takes about 6 minutes to traverse on a raft.
Whatever your reason for visiting South Bend, Almost Home Corporate Housing is your best choice to provide you with a furnished apartment in South Bend, IN that is perfectly tailored to meet your unique housing needs. Call us today to receive a quote or fill out our simple housing request form at the top of this page.