Those staying in corporate housing in Durham, NC for business purposes might like some information about the city’s business environment. Durham NC is home to the Keystone Technology Park, a hundred acre site in the wooded expanse of North Carolina. The Park is one of the country’s leading areas for new technology in terms of biochemistry, telecommunications and medical devices. The park leverages the brain trust of the area’s university and acts as an incubator for research efforts that sprout from graduate work and research projects initiated at Duke University, one of the country’s leading academic institutions.While the Park is the commercialization machinery for the academic institutions in the area, the Universities themselves, located in Durham, are a source of economic benefit for the city. In addition to Duke University, there is also the North Carolina Central University located here. The Universities employ a large number of residents in the area as faculty and staff. The operations of the university are the reason behind countless businesses that provide products and services to members of the university.
Knowing what clothing to bring with you to your Durham furnished apartment is somewhat dependent on the local climate. Durham has a subtropical climate and experiences a mild spring followed by humid summers. Spring experiences high temperatures between 62°F in March and 79° in May. Summers ascend to a high of 89°F in July. Fall temperatures reach lows of 46° in October, then cools to lows of 37° in November. Winters are cool, stretching from late November to early March with lows in the high 20s. So, dress right and then venture out of your Durham, NC corporate apartment to enjoy the wide variety of outdoor recreational activities that this area offers.
Being a temporary resident in Durham, NC corporate housing need not relegate you to being a complete outsider. Acquaint yourself with Durham’s history by reading our brief historical summary provided below.The area was originally inhabited with an offshoot of the Sioux tribe. They worked the land and set up communities in what is present day Durham. Colonists arrived in the area circa the early 18th century and settled in the area, which by that time was granted to George Carteret.The existence of a modern Durham after the period of settlers and tribes is owed directly to the arrival of the railroad. Durham is approximately equidistant to Hillsborough and Raleigh, two towns that were settled before Durham. The North Carolina Railroad needed a depot in between the two where they could take on wood and water. The land to build the depot was donated to the railroad company by one Bartlett S Durham. The depot became known as the Durham Station.Durham Station remained as a stop and a place to pick up parcels arriving by train for many in the surrounding community. When the Civil War ended, soldiers passing thought Hillsborough found that the tobacco that grew in this area was of a finer quality and when they got back to their respective cities, they wrote to Durham to send for more. Durham Station began to expand with the tobacco industry.
Places to Eat Near Durham Corporate Housing
All of Almost Home’s Durham, NC furnished apartments have fully equipped kitchens, making cooking culinary masterpieces both easy and enjoyable. However, many of our clients still enjoy dining out from time to time. You might want to give the following restaurants a try:
- Nana’s on University Drive: Nana’s is a neighborhood restaurant that’s priced a little higher than average. They rotate their menu according to season and offer an upscale and romantic environment that has a full bar to complement its well crafted food. Everything on the menu is paired with the wine in their well-stocked cellar. Try the Risotto or the Tasting Menu to sample some of their finest dishes.
- Four Square Restaurant on Chapel Hill Rd: Four Square serves only dinner and are open between 5.30 and 9.30 pm. Prices are higher than average and the dining area environment is quite, private and romantic. However, it is also easy to entertain groups. There is no delivery and they do not offer take-out. The dessert menu is popular with Ice Cream Sandwich being the favorite.
- Vin Rouge on Hillsborough Rd: Vin’s is an average-priced French restaurant that serves most American delights with a French twist. They are open only for dinner and have a full bar to complement the meals. Try the Gratin de Macaroni and the Chocolate Mousse. Parking is convenient and groups are easily accommodated.
- Backyard BBQ Pit on NC Hwy 55: The Pit is an inexpensive and casual dive to get some typical southern barbecue. They are open daily from 11 am and end at 8pm. They’re closed on Sundays. There is free Wi-Fi in the area and they accommodate take-out. There is a private lot for parking. Try the Pulled Pork that comes with house Barbecue Sauce.
- Sake Bomb on University Dr: Sake Bomb is an Asian fusion restaurant that has a busy sushi bar. Prices are average and comparable to most sushi restaurants. They serve dinner and lunch. This restaurant has a full bar, and is open daily between 11am and 11pm.
- El Corral on Hillandale Rd: El Corral is a Mexican restaurant with a casual environment and average prices. They offer take-out and dine-in but not delivery. They are open at 11am daily and close at 10pm.
Things to do in Durham
Stepping out of your Durham, NC temporary housing is bound to present you with numerous interesting activities. We have listed a few possible recreation options that may appeal to you.
- Museum: The Nasher Museum of Art is located on Campus Drive in Duke University. They offer a contemporary collection of art ranging from the collection they own and ones that pass through.
- Theater: The Durham Performing Arts Theater is a diverse arena of entertainment with various forms of contemporary and classical performances. From stand up comedy to Broadway shows and headliners like Bill Cosby to Rob Thomas the DPAC is worth the visit.
- Golf: The Crossings Golf Club on Wake Forest Rd is an 18-hole course designed by Ron Garl. The design is unique with an island concept on the 12th hole. The course mixes rolling hills and undulating terrain that is relieved by water hazards and wetlands. The course pars 71 across 6,537 yards.
- Parks: The Durham Central Park is located downtown and supports a number of cultural activities within a natural area that is open to arts and commerce all day. The park is set over a 5-acre space that is lush and shady.
Whatever your reason for visiting Durham, Almost Home Corporate Housing is your best choice to provide you with a furnished apartment in Durham, NC that is perfectly tailored to meet your unique housing needs. Call us today to receive a quote or fill out our simple housing request form at the top of this page.